Since energy is invisible it can be hard to identify energy drains. It generally requires tuning into our feelings and being aware of how people, places and things affect them. Here are some tips to help.
1. Be aware of your energy. The more familiar you are with how you manage and shape your energy the more you can be in charge of energy drains. You also begin to create new habitual ways of living from the inside out and having more influence over your life experience. During an interaction feel the energy in your body. If there is something that feels unpleasant, you can place your hand over your solar plexus, your midriff, and feel centering within. If you suspect a power drain from another you can accompany this motions with the phrase, say “you have no power here now.” If you begin to get acquainted with where you contract (a natural response) your energy in response to stressful events and people, you can consciously reverse that effect and return your energy flow to one that is healthier and happier for you.
2. If you are feel that you have been attached to through energy cords, use intention and imagery to detach them. Gently extricate them and send them lovingly back to the one who “corded in”. Also intend to gently and with care return your energy to the place the cord was released from. Return to your center.
3. Purposefully practice creating strong healthy energetic boundaries. Practice being aware of your center and grounding and gently refuse to engage. (It takes more than one.)
4. Know that you have a choice. Become mindful, present to the moment and calmly choose your response– which can be to not engage. When choosing not to engage it is best to do so in an open heart centered way rather than an angry or blaming way…those “attitudes” while normal perhaps only contract your field. Healing your past, becoming more conscious of why you have created certain situations and working with forgiveness can help move you past blocks that do not allow ease.
5. Make it a practice to get quiet, work with your mind and heart, center and ground your energy via your breath.
6. Keep your energy strong through making it a habit to frequently intentionally flow strong, vibrant energy through your body, filling in any empty spots and smoothly out any irregularities.