One of the best strategies for coping with the holidays is to have a meditation/relaxation practice that you commit to no matter how busy things get. It not only helps you release accumulated stress, it also creates an inner resiliency that keeps you strong and centered so you are less vulnerable to stress and strain.
Taking the Stress out of Holiday Gatherings
Holidays are a time when we are with many groups of people including family …and kind, tolerant and understanding as we might try to be …there is a lot that can be stressful! Here are some tips to help you reduce the stress and hang onto your center and sanity.
- Limit the time you spend with people who deplete your energy
- Set limits on conversations and state clearly that you only have x amount of time.
- When you are with people who stress you out tune into your breathing and use long slow breaths to stay peaceful and detached.
- Remember to state your needs clearly and honestly and remain committed to them.
- Feel free to vote with your feet and leave situations that are uncomfortable, negative or unhealthy.
- Avoid eye contact w/certain people– it is a major way energy is drained by some vampires.
- Claim and protect your personal space–use centering, grounding and breathing to help you do so.
- Be clear about not wanting to engage in negative interchanges.
- Set limits, define your boundaries you deserve care, respect and positive treatment. Nowhere is it written that you must sacrifice your well being or needs to another.
- Allow your feelings–do not try to invalidate, discount or explain them away. They are red flags to help you notice what you may have suppressed and need to release. They also may be signals that help you to know when your boundaries are being violated. Being a spiritual being does not mean allowing yourself to be abused or mistreated in any way. How we process and release these feelings is of course our responsibility. Feelings are natural and can be gift that lead to greater self knowledge.
- Find time, if only a moment to recharge your resources, return to yourself and be able be present to enjoy all that is good and joyous!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.